Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mini escape

Flowered path

There is no denying that I live in a big city, although I must admit that Delhi is a lot greener than I expected before I arrived. After a few weeks back though I'm always reminded that I grew up (sort of) in the country. At least with a lot of green space around me and with a ton of time spent outdoors. I start to miss it....a lot. Luckily for me I have a mini escape just two blocks from my house. The Aravalli Biodiversity Park is a reclaimed space that used to be mined for morrum and clay. A fact that is still obvious when you look past the edge of the main trail to find a variety of pits cut into this spur of the Aravalli mountain range. I stick to the main path, approximately a three mile round trip, which takes me along a red dirt path, past fields, a set of greenhouses and a couple of small Hindu shrines. The way is well delineated with both stick and wire fences, the occasional over sized wooden gates letting you know you shouldn't follow that fascinating looking side path. One of my favorite things about walking or running the path is that abundance of bird life, and my particular favorite - peacocks. I don't think that I've ever gone out without chasing a peacock for at least a short way down the path. Today I was pleased (but not quick enough with the camera) when some dogs surprised a group of them out of the bushes and they came flying overhead. Of course you can't ever forget that you are still in the city, and if by chance you had, the planes flying low overhead or the glimpse of an informal settlement off to one side will quickly remind you that this is really just a mini escape. But then my attention is captured again and I have to wonder why is there a pile of old bricks in the middle of the path? What is the point of the old rail road ties that they planted upright on the side? How do you just lose a sole?

Aravalii Biodiversity Park

No comments:

Post a Comment