Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Walking across the Ganges



I walked across the Ganges yesterday. I walked across one of the most religiously important rivers in India yesterday. I walked across the roaring tumbling water yesterday. It was not quite the spiritual amazing experience that implies. I walked across a swaying, vibrating suspension bridge. I shared that passage way with motorcycles blaring their horns, the cows that were looking for scraps of dropped food, monkeys hanging onto the wires stealing popcorn bags from unsuspecting walkers, and a ton of other people pushing past and suddenly stopping to take pictures in turn. I walked across the Ganges yesterday. From the middle of the bridge I could see men and women bathing in the holy water here in Rishikesh where the Ganges begins its descent out of the foothills of the Himalayas. I could stand along the railing and absorb the power of the water, and see a hint of just how important it is by the number of temples that flank the banks. Once evening arrived we found ourselves at the aarti, the sending off prayers off down the river with little fires floating on the top of the water. Watching people circle their flames in prayer before adding them to the holy river. I walked across the Ganges yesterday. 
Pedestrian bridge (sort of)

No comments:

Post a Comment