Thursday, December 15, 2011

Kashmiri Kahwa


Last night I was introduced to the wonder of Kashmiri Kahwa. I'm sure you are wondering "How did that happen?" and "What exactly are you talking about?" I joined a few friends at Dilli Haat, an outdoor craft market, where one of them has a scarf seller she is friendly with. I'm sure you can see where this is going. He showed us the best place to eat dinner and then joined us to give us a taste of his home. Now I can say I might have found my favorite drink in India. While I heard some of the legend behind the drink I'm sad to say I can't really remember any of them today. I do remember that we were told part of the name comes from wanting to say "Wah" after drinking a cup. So what is in Kahwa? It is a base of saffron boiled in water, with cardamon and cinammon. Sugar and almond slivers are added to the hot tea and then you are ready to enjoy. There is a rough recipe here if you want to try it for yourself (which I highly recommend).
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! You won't hear from me again until I get back from travels to Cambodia and Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment